Printable Page Headline News   Return to Menu - Page 1 2 3 5 6 7 8 13
 
 
Leaders Condemn Egypt Coptic Attack    05/27 09:23

   The latest on developments in Egypt.

   CAIRO (AP) -- The latest on developments in Egypt (all times local): 

   3:45 p.m. 

   Scandinavian leaders have joined the chorus of world leaders condemning the 
attack on Coptic Christians traveling to a remote desert monastery south of 
Cairo that killed 29.

   Denmark's Prime Minister Lars Loekke Rasmussen says "we are united in 
fighting terrorism" and added Saturday that those behind it were "primitive 
terrorist criminals."

   Norwegian Foreign Minister Borge Brende tweeted that he was "appalled by yet 
another deadly attack on #CopticChristians in #Egypt. Rel. minorities must be 
protected in Egypt and across the world."

   His Swedish counterpart, Margot Wallstrom, said Sweden strongly condemns the 
attack, adding "our thoughts go to the victims' families & all affected."

   1:50 p.m. 

   The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for an attack on Coptic 
Christians traveling to a remote desert monastery south of Cairo that killed 29.

   The group's news agency, Aamaq, said on Saturday that an IS unit targeted 
the bus the previous day and put the death toll at 32.

   The discrepancy in casualty figures is not uncommon in the aftermath of 
major attacks by the militants, who have been waging an insurgency centered at 
northern Sinai, though attacks on the mainland have recently increased.

   Egypt responded to the attack, the fourth since December by IS to target 
Christians, with airstrikes against what the military says are bases in eastern 
Libya in which the militants have been trained.

   10:10 a.m. 

   Egyptian authorities say the death toll in the ambush attack on a bus 
transporting Christians to a monastery south of Cairo has risen to 29.

   The Egyptian Cabinet said in a news release that 13 victims of Friday's 
attack remain hospitalized in Cairo and the southern city of Minya where the 
attack took place. Authorities had previously said 28 were killed.

   The attack came on the eve of the start of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. 
It was the fourth to target the country's Christian minority since December.

   Egypt's President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi said that suspected Islamic State 
group militants attacked the bus and that Egypt had launched airstrikes against 
what he said were militant training bases in Libya. 


(KA)

 
 
Copyright DTN. All rights reserved. Disclaimer.
Powered By DTN